Island of Susak
The sandy island of Susak is a home to two villages, only a few hundred meters away from each other, Donje selo, called the Spjaza and Gornje selo. Sharing the fate of nearby islands, Susak had seen the Illyrs and Romans take over the island, which was finally inhabited by Croats in the 10th century, when the roman monastery was built. Island was at its economic peak in the 1936, when the winery was build. Wine had been the major product of the island until 1964, when the government introduced bigger taxes on wine, so many of the island's residents emigrated, mostly to the USA. Beautiful and shallow sandy beaches make the island a very popular destination for sailors.